Monday, April 3, 2017

Mary and Martha






Luke 10
38  Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
I thought of these verses the other day as I was preparing for conference. And I had to ask myself, "Am I being like Mary, or am I being like Martha?"
Martha was busy, she knew what she wanted to see get done and she worked her hardest to get it done. Mary was a different kind of busy, she recognized that she didn't know quite what needed to be done and chose instead to listen to the Lord and learn what He wanted done.
As I pondered this question I thought about myself and how I am trying to serve the Lord. Am I truly doing it in His way? Am I truly doing it as the Savior would have me do? Or is it time for me to sit at Jesus' feet and learn what He wants before I continue on?
I thought for a long time and realized that I am a Martha, I tend to worry too much about thigns that don't really matter, and I tend to act before I listen.
What I realized is that a lot of me has been going on autopilot. Being in an area for as long as I have gets monotonous. Every day seems about the same and instead of planning in an inspired way, it seems to become a routine.
So I chose this weekend to be a Mary. I chose to figuratively sit at the feet of my precious Savior and listen to the counsel of his servants. I chose to listen before I acted and to patiently wait on the Lord to guide my footsteps, for as Marion G Romney once said, "While the Lord will magnify us in both subtle and dramatic ways, he can only guide our footsteps when we move our feet."
One of my favorite quotes that was shared comes from C.S. Lewis, “Christ says, "Give me All. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You." Christ wants us, all of us, every part of our being that we can possibly give Him. We must give our all, there is nothing that we have that could possibly be worth keeping for ourselves. As Elder Sabin said we must "be all in." If we give ourselves up and let the Savior mold us and shape us, we will truly become something beautiful.
The Savior Lives, He is the Living Christ. He will save us from our sorrows and lift the burdens that weigh us down. But He can not save us in our sins, only from them. I testify of the reality of Jesus Christ. He is there, He loves you, and as you choose to be teachable, He will change you into something incredible. It is my honor to wear His name every day of my mission.
All my love,
Sister Megan Monson






























No comments:

Post a Comment