Tuesday, July 18, 2017

More of You, Less of Me


The other day, my companion was sick, flat on her back, not going anywhere type of sick. So I had a lot of time on my hands to think, to ponder, and to take a break. My dad sent me a poem by Henry Drummond, that really made me think. 
I lived for myself, I thought for myself,
For myself, and none beside—
Just as if Jesus had never lived,
As if He had never died.
[The Greatest Thing in the World (New York: Thomas Y. Crowell Company, n.d.), 40]
That part stood out to me and made me think a lot, thinking, "who am I living for?" As I sat in our little apartment with nothing to do, some thoughts came to my mind that turned in to words. Words turned into lines and lines into stanzas. Eventually I came up with some deep truth that was hidden in my brain.

I Give my Life to You

"I give my life to You," I say.
As I turn and walk away
From everything I've ever known
My heart begins to sway.

"I give my life to You," I say
As I kneel down to pray
eyes watering as I tell you
of this very, very hard day

"I give my life to You," I say
As I hear my new friend pray
Hoping this time it will lead
To the straight and narrow way

"I give my life to You," I say
As I go up to pay
Kind tribute to your Holy Name
For we have come all this way

"I give my life to You," I say
As I turn and walk away
From the best things I have ever loved
This time I know it will be okay.
(Written by Sister Megan Monson, 2017)

The Relief Society teacher yesterday quoted some mainstream Christian song that was really profound. "More of you, less of me. Make me who I'm meant to be." This is one of the most challenging things about a mission is coming to know that your mission is not about you. It is only about God. 
The Savior once taught:
“For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it”. (Mark 8:35)

The promise a missionary makes when they put that nametag on for the first time is not just for 18 months or for two years, it is a promise of a lifetime of service to the Lord. What an amazing thing!
           
All my Love to you,
Sister Megan Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment