Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Greatest Gifts

Merry Christmas Everyone! A day late, but at least I said it!

This Christmas as I reflected on some of the gifts my Heavenly Father has given me, a few stood out in particular. More specifically, 14 stood out to me, the 14 companions I have had over the past 18 months. I have truly been so incredibly blessed with the companions I have had; I love and adore each and every one of them so much and I have learned so much from each of them, as my mission draws to a close, I want to write and publicly thank them for all the wonderful things they each have taught me.
Sister Belliston and Monson
On day one of my mission I met Sister Marissa Belliston, my very first companion. Our time together in the MTC was characterized by learning. We learned so much from our teachers, out district and each other. Sister Belliston taught me how to truly, deeply love the Gospel. The way she talked about the gospel was inspiring and always invited the Spirit. I learned to love the gospel for all that it has done for me and I really came to realize how blessed am I to have it while I was with Sister Belliston. She loves her Father in Heaven and she truly had a desire to serve Him.
Sisters Bird and Monson
When I got off the plane in Washington I met Sister Kennedy Bird, my trainer and still one of my best friends. We were "doubled in" to Lincoln, meaning both of us didn't know the area, but we immediately went to work. Sister Bird taught me everything, and it is hard to just choose one thing. What I learned most from Sister Bird was to love working. She gave the work her hardest every single day; she never gave up, even when we weren’t seeing success. I learned that the gospel is more important than how tired I am or how much I want to quit. The work became my passion while I was with Sister Bird. My companionship with Sister Bird was definitely inspired, as my mission president said, "God definitely knew what He was doing when He put you two together."
At the end of our 12 weeks together, Sister Bird moved on and I stayed in Lincoln getting 
Sister Monson and Webb
Sister Kalynn Webb as my 3rd companion. From Sister Webb I learned to find the simple pleasures in life. We would take pictures in puddles and laugh at our botched-up door approaches. She helped me see that there is joy in the journey and that there is nothing wrong with having fun while you are serving the Lord. She taught me that while it is all about the work, God doesn't expect us to be robots while we do it.
Sister Monson and Philippi
After 4 months I left my beloved Lincoln ward, and went into the great unknown of Shelton, Washington. Sister Sheli Philippi was my companion and she was truly inspirational for me. With Sister Philippi I learned to continue pressing forward, despite difficult circumstances. Her whole mission was hard, and yet, she finished strong. We didn’t always get along, but she taught me that we are not to stand in the way of the Lord’s work. She exemplified the phrase “Forget yourself and go to work.” She never faltered in her resolve to serve the Lord, she knew why she was here.
Just after Christmas last year I got a great gift. I got 
Sister Monson and Ireland
Sister Taylor Ireland as my companion. Sister Ireland was definitely one of my very favorite companions. We were the ultimate dynamic duo. Sister Ireland taught me how to be diligent. We worked so ridiculously hard, and saw little success, but she taught me that we don’t deserve success until we have done everything we can. She never tired and hardly ever stopped for air, but she was always working, always giving her all to the work of the Lord. I may or may not have cried at losing Sister Ireland.
Sister Rust and Monson
After a short six weeks with Sister Ireland, I got the call to train Sister Kaitlin Rust, Sister Rust is basically perfect for me. She is literally from my hometown, we know a lot of the same people and we are just the best of friends. Sister Rust exemplified faith. She didn’t care that she had no experience as a missionary; she knew that something would happen because of her coming on a mission. She showed me that “greenie faith” is not limited to new missionaries, but the faith to find should be in every one. She taught me how to expect miracles and count on God’s hand to help us achieve our goals. After 12 weeks, Sister Rust and I were both transferred, and my heart broke when we were separated.
After six months in Shelton, I was thrust back into the city life up in Manette Ward in Bremerton with 
Sister Plum and Monson
Sister Hannah Pluim, I adore Sister Pluim. To be frank, we sometimes struggled, but we ended up as best friends.Sister Pluim taught me that “without the Spirit you shall not teach.” One morning, when I was grumpy, she told me “we cannot go out to work until we can be friends.” And we didn’t, until we were able to work in harmony we knew we couldn’t go out and save anyone’s souls. She taught me about compromise and about loving each other enough to correct each other.
12 weeks later Sister Pluim and I both left Manette and I headed further north to Silverdale. Sister Paige Stallings. 
Sister Monson and Stallings
From Sister Stallings I learned that there is no shame in asking for help when you need it. She taught me that it is okay to have something wrong, even expected, and getting the help you need is necessary and healthy. Sister Stallings was with me at the hardest time of my mission and she was always there to support me.
Sisters,Larson, Monson Peterson
My stint in Silverdale was nothing if not brief, six weeks later I found myself in Parkland, with Sister Ashlyn Larsen and Sister Cassie Powell. Sister Larsen exemplifies charity. I have never heard her say anything negative about anyone. She was my shoulder to cry on, my cheerleader, and is one of my greatest friends. She is always there to talk, and her love never falters. Sister Powell taught me that the gospel is far more important than someone’s “no soliciting” sign. She talked to everyone, and she loved them from the moment she met them. There is no harsh bone in her body, she shared the gospel with everyone, not just those who were already ready to hop in the font.
As quickly as our companionship started, it ended. 11 days later I was emergency transferred to Brookdale with Sister Caitlin York.
Sister York and Monson
Sister York is amazing and I love her dearly! Sister York taught me that life is fun. She never let the opinions, thoughts, or actions of others get to her. She always had a smile on her face and joy in her heart, she didn’t care who you were, she was happy to see you. There was never a dull day with Sister York. She never let me down, she always did what she said she would. Sister York helped me out of a pit I had found myself in, and taught me how to be happy.
Sister Talia Ramazetti 
Sister Ramazetti and Monson
was next in my long line-up. Sister Ramazetti amazed me. She was incredibly ill, but she kept going. With Sister Ramazetti I learned to diligently seek the Lord’s will and to do His will, rather than my own. She so desperately wanted to finish her mission, and she didn’t want to quit. When she realized that she had to make that decision, she immediately began to fast and pray to know what the Lord would have her do. In the end she went home, but she didn’t view it as a sign of failure. Sister Ramazetti served valiantly to the end.
Sisters Monson, Jennings, Peterson
When Sister Ramazetti went home, I found myself Emergency transferred again to Gig Harbor in yet another trio. Sister Kelcie Jennings and Sister Kaela Peterson were my new comrades and they invited me into their companionship with open arms. At the end of her mission, I got to serve with Sister Jennings, she is an incredible example of enduring to the end. Although she only had a few weeks left, you wouldn’t know it. She was diligent and faithful to the very last day of her mission. She never talked about going home and she never wished to go home, she knew she was where she needed to be. Sister Peterson showed me that you didn’t have to report the best numbers to be successful. At 6 months into her mission, she hadn’t had a baptism, but that never slowed her down. She was successful in her mission because her whole heart was in it. Sister Peterson reminded me of myself when I was 6 months in without a baptism, and I knew that her first baptism will be the sweetest one. She showed patience by waiting for the Lord, and diligence by continuing to work.
Sister Monson and Rust
My last transfer has been spent back here in Brookdale, with my beloved Sister Kaitlin Rust, I love and adore her more than anything I could ever describe! The second time around with Sister Rust I learned just how much the mission has changed me. It had been almost 8 months since we were companions the first time, and we both changed so much in those 8 months. Being close to the Spirit truly helps you to develop into the person God wants you to be, and I saw that change in Sister Rust, and she helped me to see that change in me. In the end we will have spent 18 weeks, almost 1/4th of our missions together, and we have definitely changed a lot. She has changed my life and I am forever grateful for her!

What tremendous gifts my Heavenly Father has given me, He must love me a whole lot to bless me with 14 amazing people who have shaped and changed my life forever!
All my love to you,
Sister Megan Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment