Monday, October 16, 2017

No such thing as Coincidences


Monday night, it's 8:15 and we are out of things to do, typical Monday night. It's dark outside, so we usually don't plan on knocking doors, but when all else fails, you knock doors. Sister York felt inspired to go knock some apartments in our area, so we said a prayer and choose a building to start with. A few doors in a woman answers the door and immediately invites us in. Her name is Shayla, and we talked for just a few minutes. She told us that her kids go to our church with their Nanny, and that she was very interested in what we believe. So we set up a return appointment.
We ask a member, Sister Self to come with us to the return appointment, and the lesson was one of the most powerful spiritual experiences I have had on my mission. Shayla told us that we had knocked on her door just hours after she had been having a panic attack, and she knew that God had sent us to her door. Sister Self, being the totally boss member-missionary that she is, invited Shayla to be baptized, and Shayla accepted.
Now let's take a look at this story, it could have just been a coincidence that all of these things happened, but I don't believe so. There has to have been some divine inspiration that told us to knock on Shayla's door, that told us to invite Sister Self, that lead Shayla to choose a member of the church as the Nanny for her children. God is truly at the helm of this great work!
Another seeming coincidence happened on Saturday, I was expecting to get a letter from my family on Thursday, but I checked and nothing came. Friday, same story. Saturday was transfer calls, the most anxiety filled day of the transfer. That was the day my letter came. My sweet Daddy (who has a birthday today!) sent me his talks that he gave in Stake Conference, and it was just what I needed to calm my anxiety. He spoke on 1 Samuel in the Bible, and on Raising the Ebenezer, or stone of Help to the Lord. So I took a little rock and on it I wrote the words "Here I raise my Ebenezer, Hither by thy help I've come...." From the hymn, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" to remind me just how far the Lord has carried me.
Now, is it a coincidence that my letter came on Saturday instead of Thursday? No, God controls the mail system too!
The Lord knows us Perfectly! He Loves us perfectly, and He knows what will help us and when it will help us the most!
All my love to you,
Sister Megan Monson












No comments:

Post a Comment