Monday, October 23, 2017

Stand Still to see the Salvation of God

Throughout my time as a missionary I have learned many things, but some of the same truths echo throughout my entire mission. This week I was taught again a truth I learned early in my mission.
Sister Ramazetti and Sister Monson
While the Prophet Joseph Smith was in Liberty Jail, perhaps the darkest part of his life, he wrote to the church, persuading them to take courage and to trust in God, this later became D&C 123.
He ends with this: 
"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."
What God asks of us is that we do what WE can, and let Him make up for what we cannot. He does not ask us to push ourselves to the point of exhaustion.
Mosiah 4:27 teaches us:
"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize;therefore, all things must be done in order."
We cannot expect more out of ourselves than God expects out of us. That is unreasonable, but often we still want to impress ourselves.
How did all of this mumbo jumbo come to be this week? Well, I was talking to my sweet mission president, describing my fear that I might not have a baptism for the rest of my mission, and how I felt like I could have just gone home if God was done with me.
Of course he laughed and reminded me of what I already know, it's not about the numbers, and that God isn't done with me yet.
The fact of the matter is that I was expecting more out of myself than it was logical to expect. If God wants me to have a baptism, then I will have a baptism, but if not, it doesn't mean that I failed, it just means that I tried my best, and it just wasn't in God's plan for me, and that is okay.
All my love to you,
Sister Megan Monson

Wa-Tac missionary music:



No comments:

Post a Comment