Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Things I do not know...

Yesterday we got a text from our amazing mission president, he encouraged us to go and view the broadcast of the Face to Face with Elder Dallin H Oaks and Elder M Russel Ballard. What a treat! We don't normally get to go see things like that because we are doing our missionary work, but he felt like we needed to go, so we did!
I had so many of my questions answered and so many of my fears calmed. Elder Oaks shared a thought that really struck a chord with me, he said, "I do not know the answers to all questions, but I do know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God who restored the fullness of the gospel on the earth." 
That really made me think.
I do not know why a 14 year-old boy was the one to restore the truthfulness of the gospel. I do not know why polygamy had to be a thing. I don't really understand a lot about Kolob. I do not know why it says in Revelations not to add or take away. Let's be honest here, I really don't fully grasp al of the gospel.
I was reminded of a quote by Elder David A Bednar:
I do not know why some people learn the lessons of eternity through trial and suffering—while others learn similar lessons through rescue and healing. I do not know all of the reasons, all of the purposes, and I do not know everything about the Lord’s timing. With Nephi, you and I can say that we “do not know the meaning of all things” (1 Nephi 11:17).
But some things I absolutely do know. I know we are spirit sons and daughters of a loving Heavenly Father. I know the Eternal Father is the author of the plan of happiness. I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know Jesus enabled the Father’s plan through His infinite and eternal Atonement. I know that the Lord, who was “bruised, broken, [and] torn for us” (“Jesus of Nazareth, Savior and King,” Hymns, no. 181), can succor and strengthen “his people according to their infirmities” (Alma 7:12). And I know one of the greatest blessings of mortality is to not shrink and to allow our individual will to be “swallowed up in the will of the Father” (Mosiah 15:7).
Though I do not know everything about how and when and where and why these blessings occur, I do know and I witness they are real. I testify that all of these things are true—and that we know enough by the power of the Holy Ghost to bear sure witness of their divinity, reality, and efficacy.


Though there are so very many things I do not understand, at the same time I understand what is most important. I understand that Joseph Smith is a Prophet. I do know that Jesus Christ is my Savior, he is my Redeemer and my friend. I do know that the Book of Mormon is true. I do know that families are eternal. I do know that this is the greatest work we could ever be involved in. So why would it matter if I don't have all the answers? I know that this Church is true, and that is all that matters to me.
All my love,
Sister Megan Monson
PS Happy Thanksgiving!

riding in the car
interviews


selfie, what else am I to do while sitting in the back?

Pudget Sound


No comments:

Post a Comment