Monday, November 6, 2017

To Love Another Person...

Thursday morning at 7:15 I hugged my sweet companion, Sister Ramazetti, good-bye and wished her luck. After a constant battle, God told Sister Ramazetti it was time to go home to get better. So she flew off to California, and I was transferred to Gig Harbor, in the Crescent Valley ward! My new companions are Sister Jennings (from Georgia) and Sister Peterson (from Lehi, Utah) and we are quite a dynamic trio!
I learned a very profound lesson from Sister Ramazetti that has really had me thinking. Elder David A Bednar once said "Character is revealed, for example, in the power to discern the suffering of others when we ourselves are suffering; in the ability to detect the hunger of others when we are hungry; and in the power to reach out and extend compassion for the spiritual agony of others when we are in the midst of our own spiritual distress. Thus character is demonstrated by looking and reaching outward when the natural and instinctive response is to be self-absorbed and turn inward."
It always amazed me that whenever Sister Ramazetti was feeling absolutely horrible, she would be more concerned about me than about herself. She was constantly worried that I would be bored, so she bought me puzzles to keep me busy. She was always thinking of ways to help me endure HER illness, instead of thinking about herself. She wanted my happiness more than she cared about her own. And when she decided to go home, she was constantly apologizing that I would have to switch companions yet again, when she was the one who would be going home.
Olaf on Frozen says "Love is putting someone else's needs above your own." And Sister Ramazetti, despite debilitating illness, put my needs above hers.
Elder Bednar teaches that "Ultimately the gift of charity possesses us--we do not possess it." If we are truly charitable then it becomes who we are, we can't just have a Christ-like love, that love has to compel us to act and to do things that we normally would not do.
Jean Valjean (from Les Miserables) says "to love another person is to see the face of God." Love truly changes the way we look at others, we are here, amidst the children of God, do we see them that way? Something to think about.
All my love to you,
Sister Megan Monson

Here is the talk from Elder Bednar that she references to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWOVwycSor0

new companions Sister Jennings and Peterson




temple trip with recent convert and comps



for you Sister Plume


No comments:

Post a Comment